FOLLOW US:      TWITTER      |   FACEBOOK      |   YOUTUBE       |   MYSPACE       |   SUBSCRIBE

Bookmark 1 Bookmark

Author Topic: Want to know: Building N/A 4B11 CVT...best part options.  (Read 2792 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Referrals: 0
  • Year: 2008
  • Trim: ES
  • Trans: CVT
  • Color: Rally Red
Want to know: Building N/A 4B11 CVT...best part options.
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
I'm from Trinidad & Tobago in the Caribbean, where everyone who's into tuning is running EVO's, Imprezas, Skylines, Silvias, Supras, basically anything that comes out of Japan with a turbo form the manufacturer. Also alot of people are into Honda's over here. I'am one of maybe 3 or 4 guys who are currently modifying a CY4A Lancer. So far I have installed a K&N Thyphoon intake and the Greddy Ti-C axle back exhaust I'm impressed with the difference these two bolt on's made, but I feel I can get more from the engine, much more!! :D btw my car is a 2.0L Mivec. My goal is to keep my car reliable as its my dd but still be able to run it at auto cross events in the future once I have built it up enough to my satisfaction and not blow my CVT!! 

I don't want to go turbo because as of right now I simply can't afford it and the parts would have to be special ordered which would bring up the price and in any case if I want to go turbo I can sell my Lancer and buy an EVO 5,6,7 or 8, but again I can't afford the maintenance of one of those right now, so I have to work with what I have.

Right so to get down to business now I have spent many hours going through the forums reading about what parts would be good for a N/A build, as I said before I have an axle back and SRI so the basic, basics so far. I really would like to cut out two of the cats in the exhaust and replace it with a single high flow cat and the relevant piping. (we don't have emission regulations in T&T :laugh:). I would like to get a set of headers, I saw that the ORX set is supposed to be a good choice, so I wouldn't mind picking that one up. The Alutech pulley also seems to be a popular choice, but avalibilty due to shipping costs seems to be a problem, has any tried the RRM version? Is it any good? I have also read about changing the cams (shafts or gears, I'm not sure) and replacing them with those of the EVO X which is something I'm veryyy interested in doing, I know I will have to tune after but would I need an engine management system or would I be able to use the stock ECU as it is open source. What else would I have to change to facilitate this mod (changing of the cams)?

For the brakes, suspension and transmission now, I already have the TIEN S-Tech springs on my stock shocks which are stiff and I have no intention to change them to the KYB shocks until the OEM ones are dead. I was thinking of going with the RRM front brake upgrade, RRM front strut brace, RRM camber bolts, and some sort of transmission cooler, either the OEM Mitsu or the Mishimoto universal one. Also I'm going to get the OEM rear anti-sway bar from the JDM GT Lancer.

I can't think of anything else right now and for those of you who have read this far and can help me out, ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, as I want to finish this build by mid 2012.

9glancers.com

Want to know: Building N/A 4B11 CVT...best part options.
« on: November 28, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »

• 9gL Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Referrals: 1
  • Year: 2013
  • Trim: ST
  • Trans: Manual
  • Color: Black
Re: Want to know: Building N/A 4B11 CVT...best part options.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
umm...search perhaps?

• Psalm 23:4
  • Referrals: 5
  • Trim: GTS
  • Color: Wicked White
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 01:15:46 PM »
umm...search perhaps?
^ Exactly , this subject has be posted quite enough lately on here .
to obtain a copy of Factory service manual  2008,2009,2010,& 2011 Includes Lancer,Sportback,RalliArt & Evo .
Pm me for  way to acquire .
Must be past quota for Marketplace access , or I will not respond .

• 9gL Supporter
  • 2013 Fusion Titanium
  • Trim: Ti
  • Color: Tuxedo Black
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 01:27:22 PM »
I just installed BC BR Series Coilovers and highly recommend them. Adjustable ride-height, preload, and damping. Way better than just lowering springs. I'd also recommend upgrading the rear sway bar as well because the stock one is so-so at best. The adjustable WORKS or Whiteline units are popular choices. Can't comment on the cams as I have no experience with them.
WAAAAAAAAAAA, PSHHHH!

• VIP Member
  • 2013 Fusion SE
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 01:50:40 PM »
If you have no emissions restrictions. a full exhaust will do wonders. try and find either an OBX header, RPW, or RRM. replace the exhaust pipe with 2.5" from headerback. Remove all cats and use a spark plug defouler to offset o2 sensors to prevent CEL. The axleback will be up to you, but anything at 2.5" will work, more your preference.

Get a tune from RPW or Works.

Alutec pulley is recommended over RRM since it is built better, wont damage engine. There may be some available through RPW or through us in a couple months.

If you want an intake, get a K&N Typhoon SRI. I dont recommend CAI since it probably rains alot in Trini.

I would wait on cams until that gets sorted out more, but you can try contacting Ruben at dynocenter in puerto Rico, but I hope your spanish is good.

Thats a good start, but dont expect miracles with your engine. However, it will be quicker than stock.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I think I will go with headers from RRM or ORX...however going with a straight 2.5'' exhaust is something I will be staying away from due to the amount of noise the car will make. However I'll try to get my hands on an Alutec pulley as I know someone people who live in OZ, who I can have the pulley shipped to.

With regards to the WORKS tune, would they be able to tune to specs and conditions specific to my climate? Or should I just get the RRM piggy back & Timing Controller? Has anyone had any experiences with these products?

If anyone has more info on the EVO X cam install, it would be greatly appreciated as I can source those fairly easily locally in Trinidad.

• Trim: DE
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »
id recommend swaping a 06 ralliart throttle and a tune, you can also check out gts brakes, the are bigger, also the gts rear sway bar is suposed to be thicker thanthe one in the es.

for the cvt, if you already have a the remote oil cooler, you can swap a bigger one an add a fan, i used the hayden 678 and added a fan. does the es have sport mode?,if not that is another thing you can add

more info
front brakes
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,15019.msg217619.html#msg217619
rear brakes
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,13076.msg190393.html#msg190393
oil cooler
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,13807.msg201006.html#msg201006
sport mode
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,11803.msg171952.html#msg171952

• VIP Member
  • 2013 Fusion SE
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »
With regards to the WORKS tune, would they be able to tune to specs and conditions specific to my climate? Or should I just get the RRM piggy back & Timing Controller? Has anyone had any experiences with these products?

People have had bad experiences with the RRM piggy and Timing controller. They also arent always set to your environment/altitude.

Well, Works created their tune in California, and RPW did theirs in western Australia. They should both be ok, but if you are in a tropical climate, you may want to go with either RPW or Ruben @ DynoCenter in Puerto Rico's tunes. If you want to do the evo x cam swap, you will have to tune with Ruben.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:08:07 AM »
id recommend swaping a 06 ralliart throttle and a tune, you can also check out gts brakes, the are bigger, also the gts rear sway bar is suposed to be thicker thanthe one in the es.

for the cvt, if you already have a the remote oil cooler, you can swap a bigger one an add a fan, i used the hayden 678 and added a fan. does the es have sport mode?,if not that is another thing you can add

more info
front brakes
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,15019.msg217619.html#msg217619
rear brakes
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,13076.msg190393.html#msg190393
oil cooler
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,13807.msg201006.html#msg201006
sport mode
http://9glancers.com/index.php/topic,11803.msg171952.html#msg171952

Thanks for all the info!!

with the front rotors from the 2.4L GTS, were those the stock OEM rotors you used the cross drilled/slotted? Could you give me a part number for them? Also for the caliper base could you give me a part number on that as well? I'm looking on rockauto.com for the parts and having a bit of difficulty finding exactly what is needed.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
People have had bad experiences with the RRM piggy and Timing controller. They also arent always set to your environment/altitude.

Well, Works created their tune in California, and RPW did theirs in western Australia. They should both be ok, but if you are in a tropical climate, you may want to go with either RPW or Ruben @ DynoCenter in Puerto Rico's tunes. If you want to do the evo x cam swap, you will have to tune with Ruben.

Oh ok...thanks for the heads up, I'm thinking I might try to get a tune done locally in Trinidad, but the climate in Puerto Rico is very similar to Trinidad so maybe that would be a good option as well, does anyone have an email address or some sort of contact for Ruben @ DynoCenter? I wouldn't mind contacting him to try to work something out.

How do you guys normaly do the tune btw email or send ur ECU directly?

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 02:24:10 PM »

Thanks for all the info!!

with the front rotors from the 2.4L GTS, were those the stock OEM rotors you used the cross drilled/slotted? Could you give me a part number for them? Also for the caliper base could you give me a part number on that as well? I'm looking on rockauto.com for the parts and having a bit of difficulty finding exactly what is needed.

i used slotted/drilled rotors for the GTS, since the are bigger than the ones on mi DE i also had to use the GTS caliper base, got the rotors on ebay and the caliper bases at a junkyard, sorry bro, i don't know the part numbers. in rock auto some of the calipers they sell come with the base or bracket, be sure to read the product info.

• Trim: GT
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Nice to see a fellow TRINI on 9GL! Well ive done the full 2.5" piping and its great,sounds amazing i really recommend that mod. Also u can check out the Timing module from RRM , i hear u get a little extra juice with that but there is only so much we can do to get just a little more power. Eventualy if u realy want more power urr gonna have to go Turbo, and u know very well where we live we're much better off selling our lancers and buying an Evo 6 or a R33 Skyline ........which i am seriously considering :P

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »
Oh ok...thanks for the heads up, I'm thinking I might try to get a tune done locally in Trinidad, but the climate in Puerto Rico is very similar to Trinidad so maybe that would be a good option as well, does anyone have an email address or some sort of contact for Ruben @ DynoCenter? I wouldn't mind contacting him to try to work something out.

How do you guys normaly do the tune btw email or send ur ECU directly?

sorry i missed this post, i have his number if you want to call him, he did my tune. it was done on his dyno, he did a few runs to tune, he got 23 hp more with the tune.

• Year: 2011
  • Trim: Evox
  • Trans: Manual
  • Color: Pb
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 07:00:06 AM »
Best na lancer so far is a 4b12 with 280 cams , retainers and springs . If i were u ill skip any bolt ons and go straight for the cams

• VIP Member
  • 2013 Fusion SE
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »
Best na lancer so far is a 4b12 with 280 cams , retainers and springs . If i were u ill skip any bolt ons and go straight for the cams

I think you would want some basic exhaust and intake mods to move the air through that those cams require. Otherwise, you wont fully benefit from them.

9glancers.com

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 07:26:08 AM »